Snort mailing list archives

errors compiling 1.87 with mysql on openbsd

From: "Oliver Bode" <oliver () x509security com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 17:01:24 +1000

I've had the same error with the snort version used in Openbsd's ports
tree in 3.1, downloading and installing Snort Version 1.8.6 (Build 105)
from snort.org took care of it.

Anyway, I want to now sniff my pflogs and put them into mysql. The
problem
is that when I type the following command:

/usr/local/bin/snort -r /var/log/pflog

I get the following error:

/usr/local/bin/snort cannot handle data link type 17

I can read pflog with tcpdump but not with snort. Is there another way
around this or am I doing something wrong.

I followed your advice and tried to compile 1.87 with mysql and it doesn't
work. After downloading the file I do the following:

whereis mysql
/usr/local/bin/mysql
./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/bin/mysql

Then I get this error:

checking for mysql...

  ERROR: unable to find mysql headers (mysql.h)
  checked in the following places

So then I configure using the directory that mysql.h is in

find / -name mysql.h
/usr/local/include/mysql/mysql.h

./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/include/mysql

make
make install

everything looks like it is working until I fire it up with this command:

/usr/local/bin/snort -c /usr/local/share/examples/snort/snort.conf

then I get:

database: mysql support is not compiled in this copy