Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort error reading tcpdump openbsd

From: "Clint M. Sand" <cmsand () bellsouth net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 00:03:04 -0500

I've had the same error with the snort version used in Openbsd's ports tree in 3.1, downloading and installing Snort Version 1.8.6 (Build 105) from snort.org took care of it.

Oliver Bode wrote:

Hello,

I am an openbsd user and this article:
http://www.lucidic.net/whitepapers/manuzis-7-5-2002-1.html was of interest
to me. Yesterday I installed snort and acid and have been very pleased with
the results.

Anyway, I want to now sniff my pflogs and put them into mysql. The problem
is that when I type the following command:

/usr/local/bin/snort -r /var/log/pflog

I get the following error:

/usr/local/bin/snort cannot handle data link type 17

I can read pflog with tcpdump but not with snort. Is there another way
around this or am I doing something wrong.