Snort mailing list archives

Re: How does Snort protect itself ?

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 20:42:47 -0700 (PDT)

I wouldn't use snort to protect the sensor.  On top of
what V. wrote, Snort protects *itself* by running as a
normal user with no shell, and by not using shoddy
programming (no buffer overflows on bugtraq :).

Using Snort to protect your sensor is like using the
back of a screwdriver as a hammer.  It would be a
better idea to do the traditional grunt work of
hardening the OS by pruning useless services, patching
it, and firewalling it.

--- "Vinay A. Mahadik" <VAMahadik () lbl gov> wrote:
KD Rajkumar wrote:

Hi,

How does Snort protect itself against attacks. If
an attacker is trying
to take down the IDS itself, is Snort capable of
detecting and thwarting
it ?

Briefly.. although perhaps not optimized for
self-defense, there are
mechanisms like 'memcap' (and consequent aggressive
pruning, and random
nuking of states), and 'timeout' for preprocessors
like frag2, stream4.
There's '-z est' defense against stick/snot attacks.
For evasion
attacks, there are dedicated preprocessors and
preprocessor options, and
some internal source code tweaks like the 1.9.x's
pseudo-random
FLUSH_POINTs in stream4. These are just pointers and
not a complete
list.. It would be good to have a separate
discussion in the manual
about these..

--
Vinay A. Mahadik