Snort mailing list archives

Re: Error message

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:12:15 -0400

Agreed, as Jon said, look at line 46 of your snort.conf

From looking at the code I'd guess you have a snort.conf with a line 46 containing a valid rule indented by a space or two.. The snort parser tries to split a line up into a series of space delimited substrings, and the first one should be the "rule type", but in this case it's gotten a null string.

Given the default config having "var HOME_NET" near line 46, you probably introduced some misbehaved whitespace around there.

Juliano, if you still don't understand what the problem is, post line 46 of your snort.conf and any var's it references, or your whole snort.conf (censoring out HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET if you deem it important).