Snort mailing list archives

RE: cant get Apache to launch

From: "Ronneil Camara" <ronneilc () remingtonltd com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 09:32:53 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: James Kelly [mailto:macubergeek () comcast net]
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 8:23 PM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] cant get Apache to launch

So far I've completed all the install/configurations per Aidan's
pdf....but I can't seem to get Apache to launch.
I get this error in /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log
[crit] (98Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind
to port 443

This applies to any operating system on the same ip address.
This means that, a daemon/process/socket is already listening on port 443 or https.

To verify your current LISTENing sockets, you can use
netstat -na|grep 443

It might be your old httpd still running. If it's not, you can use
the command above. You can also use sockstat|more in freebsd or
lsof in linux.

Just my 2 cents.

Neil