Snort mailing list archives

Re: A lil' Snort Install Help....

From: "J. Craig Woods" <drjung () trismegistus net>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 20:12:16 -0500

Kurupt Kurupt wrote:

Hey,

Im trying to install Snort on my RedHat 7.2 machine... Im using the install
instructions from http://www.snort.org/docs/snort-rh7-mysql.pdf but am a lil
confused... DO you need MySql installed with a Webserver and Acid? I tryed
google but cant find a simplier TUTORIAL wandering if anyone knows where i
can FIND A SIMPLER TUTRIAL just soo i can start using snort to moniter some
traffic???? Thanks

No, you do not need MySQL, a webserver or Acid. Just install snort, and
use the options for logging that come with snort. You will find these
options, along with all other set up options, in the snort.conf file.
Start out with this kind of setup, and then increase your complexity...

drjung

--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT Network/System Administration