Snort mailing list archives

Re: question about finding out about traffic

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:46:01 -0400

Your first-place to go should be here:

http://www.snort.org/snort-db/

enter the SID and search.

If there isn't much good information yet, check the reference links (if those are populated).

648 does not yet have a full description, but does have an arachnids reference link with good information.

You can also try digging through the archives of the snort-sigs mailing list, which for SID 648 yields this submission that has not yet made it to the web database. (I searched my local archive, since I subscribe, but I believe there is a web archive).

--
Rule:
alert ip $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"SHELLCODE x86 NOOP";

--
Sid:
648

--

--
Impact:

--
Detailed Information:
The NOP allows an attacker to fill an address space with a large

--
Attack Scenarios:
If a particular service was written using unsafe functions without

--
Ease of Attack:
Not-so trivial.  This particular technique requires a knowledge of x86

--
False Positives:
Many. The x86 NOP can frequently be found in day-to-day traffic,

--
False Negatives:
Few.  There are other techniques to emulate a NOP.  Additionally, if

--
Corrective Action:
Determine if this NOP was part of an attack or simply part of an

--
Contributors:
Jon Hart <jhart () ccs neu edu>

--