Snort mailing list archives

Re: mysql 100% cpu utliization

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:35:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Redman, Ken wrote:

Build:
Redhat 7.2 all patches and updates up to last week (default kernel 2.4.7-10)
Mysql 3.23.49a
Acid 0.9.4.1
Php 4.1.2
Snort 1.8.6

I have acid/mysql working ok, however after a couple of hours the box
totally locks up. There is nothing in the logs. I heard something mentioned
on the board a while ago about this issue being a memory leak causing the
usage to go to 100%. Again, not sure if this is the exact same problem. Does
anyone have a work-around/fix for this?

Check your rules for any that are using regex.  The regex code is a bit rough,
and it has been known to cause this type of issue.  You might also try to
split the logging out to another box.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams