Snort mailing list archives

RE: I found a bug

From: "Ronneil Camara" <ronneilc () remingtonltd com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 21:32:42 -0500

Hi Erek,

-----Original Message-----
From: Erek Adams [mailto:erek () theadamsfamily net]
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 2:25 PM
To: Ronneil Camara
Cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] I found a bug

Stream4 introduces a new command line switch: "-z". The -z
switch can take one
of two arguments: "est" and "all". The "all" argument is the
default if you
don't specify anything and tells Snort to alert normally. If
the -z switch is
specified with the "est" argument, Snort will only alert (for
TCP traffic) on
streams that have been established via a three way handshake
or streams where

Ok. So this means that flexresp will still be successful if
the session has completed the 3 way handshake. If this is the
case, what should be my flags then? Currently, I'm using A+.

As a result, snort will send a TCP reset after the 3WAY HS.

cooperative bidirectional activity has been observed (i.e.
where some traffic
went one way and something other than a RST or FIN was seen
going back to the
originator). With "-z est" turned on, Snort completely
ignores TCP-based
stick/snot "attacks".

Make sense?  :)

-----