Snort mailing list archives

Re: I found a bug

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:24:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Ronneil Camara wrote:

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature:

:)  Well, Snort has no bugs.  Only unknown and undocumented features...  :)

Last night, I changed the start-up parameters of snort. I just noticed this
morning that my flexresp rule doesn't work anymore. If snort is executed
with -z est, then flexresp will fail. I did 3 test and I am very sure that
when snort is ran with -z est, flexresp will fail.

So, is this bug?

Nope.

Check out the notes on Stream4 in the manual.

http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.4.8

[...snip...]

Stream4 introduces a new command line switch: "-z". The -z switch can take one
of two arguments: "est" and "all". The "all" argument is the default if you
don't specify anything and tells Snort to alert normally. If the -z switch is
specified with the "est" argument, Snort will only alert (for TCP traffic) on
streams that have been established via a three way handshake or streams where
cooperative bidirectional activity has been observed (i.e. where some traffic
went one way and something other than a RST or FIN was seen going back to the
originator). With "-z est" turned on, Snort completely ignores TCP-based
stick/snot "attacks".

Make sense?  :)

-----
Erek Adams