Snort mailing list archives

Re: Portscans from China ?

From: "Michael Scheidell" <scheidell () fdma com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:04:00 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Arrison" <arrison () graphcalc com>
Newsgroups: local.snort.users
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2002 1:02 PM
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Portscans from China ?

China is a known haven for hackers.  Due to their relative infancy of
online connectivity, there are many servers there that have to been
secured.  One of the most common are mail servers that are left as open
relays for spam.  Others are compromised systems controlled by (often
American) foreign hackers, used to mask their origin.

Not that it helps any, but makes me feel good, also log those to either
dshield.org or mynetwatchman.
both have scripts to take snort logs and upload them.

mynetwatchman uses a separate csv file and the perl agent to upload in real
time and then send a (probably useless) lart to whatever isp admin then can
find.

Like I said, it is probably useless, but its about all I can think of doing
without firewalling china