Snort mailing list archives

RE: Portscans from China ?

From: Mike Arrison <arrison () graphcalc com>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 09:45:26 -0400

China is a known haven for hackers.  Due to their relative infancy of
online connectivity, there are many servers there that have to been
secured.  One of the most common are mail servers that are left as open
relays for spam.  Others are compromised systems controlled by (often
American) foreign hackers, used to mask their origin.

Of course, there has also been a large contingent of actual Chinese
hackers.  There are rumors that the Chinese government actually sponsors
these guys to do a little American recon.  If your organization is
involved in anything high tech, weapons or nuclear related, I would not
be surprised at all to see the Chinese scanning you.

My suggestion: Start logging all packets from Asia, not just alerts.
You can figure out what those IP's are here:
http://www.iana.com/assignments/ipv4-address-space .  Look for entries
for APNIC (Asia Pacific Network Information Center).

But this just my paranoid assessment.  Anyone have any non conspiracy
theory thoughts?

        -Mike Arrison