Snort mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Destination Unreachable (Port Unreachable)

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 19:02:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Tony Wong wrote:

I dont understand why I keep getting these "ICMP Destination Unreachable
(Port Unreachable)" in my alerts. the source is from a pc to an apache web
server. Running

I ran ethereal on the pc when doing an ftp and this is usually when it
happens.

I get an ICMP Destination Unreachable when doing an ftp. I can ftp in ok
no problems but why these ICMP Destination Unreachable messages?

You'll need to have a look at the decoded packet dumps.  They should list the
packet headers that caused the "other" server to respond with a ICMP message.
What ports does that refer to?  If it's a Win32 based machine that the
original packets are coming from, I'd suspect it's to do with the broken way
in which MS does lookups.  Many times it tries to do a SMB/WINS querey on the
name, IIRC.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams