Snort mailing list archives

RE: Anomalous packet logged by Snort

From: "Hawrylkiw, Dan G" <dan.g.hawrylkiw () intel com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:48:58 -0700

Bill,

Each FTP command is issued in a separate packet, so I'm assuming that
TCPshow amalgamated several packets into "one" to keep the logs brief (as
seen in packet 28 below).  Maybe combined logs don't capture checksums in
TCPshow.  As for an explanation why some are logged as individual packets
and others are combined- I don't know (I haven't used TCPShow).  Can you use
other display options or run it through TCPdump?

Additionally, some FTP daemons require @'hostname' in the PASS for anonymous
logins.  That is why Grim's Ping uses a hostname in the password.

Dan Hawrylkiw, CISSP, GCIA
Network Security Engineer - Intel Corp.
Opinions are my own and not my employer's. </legal blahblah>