Snort mailing list archives

RE: Portscanning from my network

From: "Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW)" <Paul.Sheahan () priceline com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:04:58 -0400

Actually I would do just the opposite. I would experiment bumping UP the
numbers 4 and 3. How about flagging a communication as a portscan when 5 or
more ports are scanned within 20 seconds? From what I have read, this may be
more realistic and could cut out some of the false alerts. I don't see how
regular browsing would show up as a portscan, but then again I haven't
experimented with this feature that much.

After experimenting with the portscan preprocessor settings, you could also
block out any hosts you know are generating false alerts using preprocessor
portscan-ignorehosts.

Paul Sheahan
Manager of Information Security
Priceline.com