Snort mailing list archives

RE: newbie snort user on windows xp needs help please

From: "Michael Steele" <michaels () silicondefense com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:21:25 -0700

 -Michael

 mailto:michaels () silicondefense com

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Steele [mailto:michaels () silicondefense com]
Sent: June 26, 2002 11:21 PM
To: 'Scott Weeks'
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] newbie snort user on windows xp needs help
please

Scott,

The way you are running Snort will not allow Snort to generate alerts to
the screen.

The rules are correct and you should be generating an enormous amount of
traffic. Use your browser to generate the traffic. Make sure you have
activated your custom rules in your Snort.conf. Also, when you add
rules, be sure to restart snort.

After you run snort and generate some traffic, stop snort and use a text
editor to check your alert.ids file and see if there are alerts being
entered. They will be time stamped.

If you really want to get the feel of Snort and have a better
understanding of how things work, you might want to do a manual install.
All the programs you are using are available outside of the installer.

There is a LOT of documentation out there for Snort and Windows, but not
nearly as much as there are for *nix. Try doing a search on google for
some key words or phrases.

Also, I have never used that installer so some of the above may not
apply.