Snort mailing list archives

Re: I think I know the answer to this, but not 100% sure

From: Mike_Sands () elementk com
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:49:43 -0400

easy question easy answer. Nope you don't need and ip on the nic. In fact
it is better not to.

Mike Sands
Security / Network Engineer

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           Eric Garnel                 |
|         |           <egarnel3470 () yahoo com>     |
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           snort-users-admin () lists sour|
|         |           ceforge.net                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           06/26/2002 10:56 AM         |
|         |                                       |
|---------+--------------------------------------->

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       snort <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
            |
  |       cc:
         |
  |       Fax to:
         |
  |       Subject:  [Snort-users] I think I know the answer to this, but not 100% sure

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Here is my scenario:
cable modem --- pix -- internal network

Here is what I want to do:

                        PIX----internal network
                        /
cable modem ----------hub
                        \
                        Snort (linux box)
                        front nic in promiscuous mode
                              back nic on dmz or internal

This may seem like a really stupid question, but do I need to assign
an ip to the front nic of the snort box if it will be running in
promiscuous mode? I can;t believe that I am even asking it, hand me
another twinkie