Snort mailing list archives

Re: List of IP Address

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:42:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 DThomaz () flowserve com wrote:

I would like to edit my rules by adding new list of IPs.
Example:

var DMZ_NET xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
var WAN_NET xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

 where do I add the lists? Is there a document to assist on rules changes?

Where?  Well...  On the docs pages of snort.org[0], there's quite a bit of
stuff.  The users manual covers all about writing rules and the order of the
config file.  The FAQ[1] has some other useful things in it.

It might sound strange but if you were to have a lot of changes/additions to
the snort.conf file--I would do it in something like a "my_addons.conf" file
and then including that.

  include /etc/snort/my_addons.conf

That way when you upgrade versions of snort, you can just include that file
with one line to 'recover' all of your local changes.  You could also put your
rules in there that you've written--But it's your choice.  Just be standard.
:)

Hope this helps!

-----
Erek Adams