Snort mailing list archives

Re: icmp i want to ignore

From: Steve Scott <sjscott007 () earthlink net>
Date: 05 Jun 2002 14:54:17 -0500

Don,

        What I do is place a pass rule in my local.rules file.  See the
following:

pass icmp <IP-ADDRESS> any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ICMP L3retriever Ping
- MANAGEMENT MACHINE - STEVE"; content:
"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWABCDEFGHI"; itype: 8; icode: 0; depth: 32;
reference:arachnids,311; classtype:attempted-recon; sid:466; rev:1;)

I also put a comment in the msg section explaining why the filter was
added and who added it.

To use this you must have the -o parameter specified when you start
snort. This changes the default rule order.

Steve