Snort mailing list archives

Re: Bandwidth Information

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 11:21:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Cooper Arthur B Contr WCOM wrote:

      Does anyone know of an "add-on" or PERL script that can do some
"ciphering" for me and tell me what percentage of my bandwidth is generating
alerts with SNORT?  I have a snort server set-up on a SPANNED 100
MBS/Full-Duplex port that feeds the internal LAN of a large US Military
installation.  I absolutely LOVE SNORT, but now that I see all of the crazy
stuff being thrown at us via the Net, I was wondering if there was a way to
show what percentage of our bandwidth is literally being wasted by the
amount of cmd.exe, code red, SQL Worm 1433 stuff etc. etc. that is coming in
here and "banging" my firewalls.  THANKS!!

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is to use MRTG on your router and
firewall.  Using that, measure the amount of incoming traffic from the router.
Then measure the amount of traffic that "leaves" your firewall--If it goes
thru your firewall, it should be legitimate traffic, right?  Subtract number
one from number two, and you should have a rough idea of how much 'wasted'
bandwith you have.

But of course, I haven't had my coffee yet--So I could be entirely
crackheaded.  :)

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams