Snort mailing list archives

RE: SSL CodeRed et al

From: "East, Bill" <eastb () PFFCU org>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 12:16:16 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: bthaler () webstream net [mailto:bthaler () webstream net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 11:45 AM
To: Sean T. Ballard; snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] SSL CodeRed et al

I know I wouldn't be able to see the encrypted traffic, but
that's only an
issue if the worm is actually making a SSL connection, which
I seriously
doubt.

If, on the other hand, the worm was just blindly sending the
exploit data to
port 443, Snort would be able to pick it up.

Either way, I think they're full of crap too.  They're
product isn't based
on IIS, so these worms shouldn't be an issue.

Encrypted or no, if either worm was hitting the server, you would see the
attack strings in IIS's logfiles. I would not rule out someone rewriting the
worms to use SSL, but on the other hand I have not seen that traffic (yet).

--
be - MOS

I've already told you more than I know.