Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort in a switched environment

From: "Joe Pampel" <joe () ardsley com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 12:59:18 -0400

1. - re: Bruno's solution. I did this for a long time. Only real drawback from a practical point of view is if you have
redundant paths you need 2 hubs or else you've built a new SPF..

2. Saw Cisco config, so thought I'd post what Nortel 350/450 looks like:
(view in courier). This is under switch configuration-->Port Mirroring configuration

    Port Mirroring Configuration

                     Monitoring Mode:  [ <-> Port X   and   Port Y <-> ]
                   Monitor Unit/Port:  [ 1/9  ]

                         Unit/Port X:  [ 1/8  ]
                         Unit/Port Y:  [ 2/8  ]

                           Address A:  [ 00-00-00-00-00-00 ]
                           Address B:  [ 00-00-00-00-00-00 ]

                Currently Active Port Mirroring Configuration
Monitoring Mode: <-> Port X   and   Port Y <->   Monitor Unit:  1 Port:  9
Unit X:  1  Port X:  8   Unit Y:  2  Port Y:  8

This is the port mirroring config screen. In this particular example there are 2 switches in cascade (linked). The
monitor port is unit 1, port 9. It is monitoring all traffic in and out (<->) of unit 1 port 8 and unit 2 port 8.

The older versions of the Nortel code don't (AFAIK) support mirroring multiple ports, but software & firmware upgrades
are *free* from Nortel for the 350/450.  Last pertinant detail - the monitoring port is unreachable so you need another
NIC to be a normal "comm" NIC so you can talk to the sensor, have it log etc.

hth

Joe