Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort in a switched environment

From: Andrew.Zielinski () bedbath com
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:26:52 -0400

If your switch allows it, you need to designate the port that Snort is
plugged into as a mirror port. This way all traffic on that switch is also
sent to the mirror port.

Andrew Zielinski

                    Bastian Ballmann
                    <ballmann () co-de de>                  To:     snort-users () lists sourceforge net
                    Sent by:                             cc:
                    snort-users-admin@lists.sourc        Subject:     [Snort-users] Snort in a switched
                    eforge.net                           environment

                    05/14/2002 11:19 AM

Hello!
Is it possible to run Snort in a switched environment? Cause Snort can only

sniff the traffic of the host he is running on. Unless he is doing
something
like ARP poisoning or something like this...
But I think this would lead into trouble if you run the arpspoof
preprocessor
;)
Greets

Bastian Ballmann
--
Bastian Ballmann [ ballmann () co-de de ]
@ Computational Design GmbH