Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is this a valid traffic?

From: Joe Matusiewicz <joem () nist gov>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 14:02:02 -0500

At 12:39 PM 4/3/02, Skip Carter wrote:

        -- the packet size is 1500 bytes.   There is never any reason for an
ICMP packet
           to be larger than 128 bytes.

I see these all the time and have commented this rule out. This looks like the MTU discovery that comes with some of the newer *nix versions. A ping packet is sent out with
a "don't fragment" bit set, 1500 bytes in size, and if a remote
router can't forward the packet on a smaller MTU channel (say some
old serial link), it will return a "can't fragment" ICMP pkt.
to the web server, which will then lower the packet size for
that host.  In today's internet, those who can't handle
a 1500 byte packet should be < .1%, so all that traffic is extraneous.

One of our groups shut this off in their AIX web server a year ago because folks were complaining that they were getting ping scanned from it. They upgraded the OS on Monday and guess what -- it was turned back on by the upgrade. They shut it back off. I've also seen this behavior in Solaris and HP-UX.

-- Joe