Snort mailing list archives

Re: SYN flood detection

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 12:04:04 -0400

spp_portscan is intended to detect portscans, not syn floods. It's designed to detect numerous connections to *different* ports. A syn-flood detector is pretty similar in code design to spp_portscan, but detects something very different.

perhaps a spp_synflood should be created to detect numerous connections period? I'd suspect you'd want different settings for the portscan and synflood versions anyway. (ie: 4 different ports in 3 seconds is sufficient to call it a portscan, but more like 400 connections to call it a synflood.)