Snort mailing list archives

As a newbie, two questions

From: Emanuele Salvador <lele () profim florida it>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 17:24:39 +0200

I recently installed on a Linux box (Redhat 7.2) snort and acid, following the instructions (kindly provided on http://www.sfhn.net/whites/snort_acid-rpm.html) by Mr. Mark Johnson.

The installation went straightforward and everything seems to work. But...

1) snort seems to detect portscans from nmap only on the host where snort runs. Is this a normal behaviour? It is not clear for me if snort should detect portscans on all the net (or if it should not detect portscans at all).

2) I've not been able to verify if my snort.conf loads correctly. Is there a way to see what rules are loaded?

Thanks to all,
Emanuele Salvador

"The stars are matter, we're matter. But it doesn't matter."

- Don Van Vliet -