Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-devel] 1.8.4-beta1 feedback?

From: Jeff Nathan <jeff () wwti com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:47:23 -0800

"Smith, Donald" wrote:

Jeff I believe the static data your referring to is hardcoded data
because that is what it takes to kill synscan1.5 or 1.6.
A packet from www.microsoft.de on port 80 to port 31337 on the
scanning machine.
I realize this is a little specialized but it would affect a large
number of scanners.
Since a large part of the scanning being
done on the net is still using synscan1.5/1.6 code
I had hoped to get this patch accepted soon.

I did send you two versions. Just to be sure you have the correct
version I am including
the latest version. It is for 1.8.3 not 1.8.4. and precaches the
tcpsyn packet.

Donald.Smith () qwest com GCIA
QIS/WWN Security
303-226-9939 Office
720-320-1537 cell

Aha!

a bit of confusion on my part.  I'll see what I can to as far as
integrating this sort of functionality into the CVS code.

It appears as though www.microsoft.de is a single IP address, so there
are some optimizations to be made.

-Jeff

--
http://jeff.wwti.com            (pgp key available)
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."