Snort mailing list archives

RE: Customization of rules

From: Russell Fulton <R.FULTON () auckland ac nz>
Date: 03 Feb 2002 12:19:37 +1300

Message: 14
From: Chip Kelly <Chip.Kelly () sas com>
To: "'snort-users () lists sourceforge net'"
       <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:36:20 -0500
Subject: [Snort-users] Customization of rules

I'm just getting comfortable with the changes that I've made to the rules that
 are supplied with 1.8.3. Most of the changes are localized in local.rules, but
I have also made changes to the way some of the other rules work in order to
reduce false positives in my environment. My question - how do I preserve the
customized rules in files other than local.rules when I update my rule sets
either from an update to snort or simply an update to my rules files? I'm
not looking forward to handling each customization individually. -chip

I have the same problem.  What I have done so far is to write a perl script
which takes a list of SIDs comments the rules out.  I want to extend this to
cover simple modifications, eg added options, changed targets etc but have not
had time to do so.