Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort is too quiet!

From: "Guillaume" <guillaume () anteria fr>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:34:58 +0100 (CET)

Hello all,

Hope this hasn't been ask too often but my snort catch no alert
at all. I installed snort 1.8.3 with ACID v0.9.6b19 and there was
no error during installation.
My snort box is Linux 2.4.3, located outside firewall, and I
already set my adapter to promiscuous mode, still nothing happen.

I simply edited a $HOME_NET variable in snort.conf file  and use
the default rules that came with snort itself.
Any suggestion?

Thank you very very much.

P.S. my snort command is
./snort -de -h xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24 -c snort.conf -l /var/log/snort
-i eth1 -D

Hello.

The above command line looks strange : you aks snort to log alerts
under /var/log/snort directory, while you seems wanting to use ACID as
log viewer... And ACID does interface a MySQL DB in which snort logs,
not the /var/log/snort directory...

Look at what's in /var/log/snort. Is there something ? (typically:
lert.log file, maybe a portscan.log one, and subdirectories named
after IPs of incoming connections).

I think that your command line -l option overcame what's inside your
snort.conf.

Try alos to run snort like this :
./snort -de -h xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24 -c snort.conf -i eth1 -D

and see what happen.

Regards,

Guillaume

[ Sent with SquirrelMail -  http://www.squirrelmail.org     ]