Snort mailing list archives

Re: BAD TRAFFIC data in TCP SYN packet

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:49:59 -0500

Generally speaking, you're not supposed to send application data in the
SYN packet (it's bad form to send application layer data before the
connection is even established), that's what this alert is firing on.
It's probably just a bad stack implementation.

     -Marty

Matt Kettler wrote:

Well, the port 29291 is just a random local port.. This is a syn packet
remember, so the service being used is on destination end, and is port 53
(dns).

so, 207.46.106.84 has decided that 172.40.20.235 might be a dns server, and
has attempted to connect to it via TCP (it is unusual, but legal for a DNS
server to be contacted via tcp instead of UDP).

I've seen some similar traffic myself from a pair of DNS servers directed
at the local DNS server here.. the TCP syn packets contain several bytes of
data which are all 00's. It is strange (AFAIK it is not legal to send data
with a syn packet.. you haven't negotiated a connection yet), but it
appears to be an artifact of a buggy tcp/ip implementation.. Or who knows,
it may be an artifact of some obscure, buggy worm  or scanning tool that
looks at DNS servers and uses raw sockets instead of the local TCP/IP
stack. Even if it is from some obscure hacking tool, the syn packets
themselves appear harmless.