Snort mailing list archives

RE: OT: Reseller Rant

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:18:21 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, F.M. Taylor wrote:

I beleive that as a support person, you should keep as many irons in as
many fires as possible in order to provide support for your users.  One
good thinng to do would be to use this mailing list.

Yes!  I've been in the tech support seat before.  I can't tell you how
invaluable resources like email lists and USENET are/were to me.

HOWEVER, if you are a professional, cite your sources.  If you cut and
paste your support solutions from a public mailing list, include the
header information.  Give credit where credit is due.

As I said in an earlier email--being cited isn't all that.  I (personally)
could care less about being cited.  The thing that gets to me is the way
_some_ use this as thier back line for tech support.  There is _NO_ effort on
thier part to research or to even look for the answer.  Question is written
and sent to the list.  Boom, get an answer--Then give it to the customer
looking like a 'super dude' for having the answer and telling them what/how to
do.

It kinda reminds me of the "Me too!" movement when AOL starting carrying
USENET.  :)

Now if you read the list and just happen to remember the answer, use your
own words, don't credit anyone except your ability to learn.
If you are just "parroting" others, well, that will work for a while, but
it will catch up with you and bite you where you sit.

Yes...  Yes it will.  :)

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams