Snort mailing list archives

Re: MISC Large ICMP Packet alert on small ICMP packet

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:51:51 -0800

Bill:

Here's a wild thought:

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 08:57:08PM -0800, Bill McCarty wrote:
I'm seeing MISC Large ICMP Packet alerts and don't see why. I used nmap to
scan one of my hosts, using options -f -sS -p 53. The resulting alert,
related to nmap's ping rather than the SYN scan, was:

03/22-20:21:30.429717  [**] [1:499:1] MISC Large ICMP Packet [**] [Class
ification: Potentially Bad Traffic] [Priority: 2] {ICMP} xxx.xxx.xxx.31
-> xxx.xxx.xxx.5

Typically icmp representation is not talking about ports, even though
the presentation by snort "xxx.xxx.xxx.31" and "xxx.xxx.xxx.5" tends
to confuse newcomers.

Rather, icmp refers to type:code combinations.

There _is_ an icmp type 31, code 5; see:

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1475.txt

Specifically:

<snip>

"6.2  Conversion failed ICMP message
   The introduction of network layer conversion requires a new message
   type, to report conversion errors.  Note that an invalid datagram
   should result in the sending of some other ICMP message (e.g.,
   parameter problem) or the silent discarding of the datagram.  This
   message is only sent when a valid datagram cannot be converted.

   The type for Conversion Failed is 31.

   The codes are:
        0       Unknown/unspecified error
        1       Don't Convert option present
        2       Unknown mandatory option present
        3       Known unsupported option present
        4       Unsupported transport protocol
        5       Overall length exceeded

<snip>

So, (Hey! I said this was a wild thought.. :-/ ) perhaps this is an
icmp representation of a packet that failed conversion, due to
"overall length exceeded"

Something like an icmp "destination unreachable" which would contain
the beginnings of the offending packet; but in this case, this is
reporting an overlength packet that triggered the snort rule, but
_this_ icmp packet itself is of normal, shorter length...

I dunno..

..I said it was a wild thought.

I'll just go back to sleep, now.

- John
--
The weirdest thing about Window$ is that it's so opaque

The relevant Snort rule is:

alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"MISC Large ICMP
Packet"; dsize: >800; reference:arachnids,246; classtype:bad-unknown;
sid:499; rev:1;)

This rule seems to look for a datagram size exceeding 800 bytes. But, a
tcpshow dump of the relevant packet shows a datagram size of only 28 bytes.

Packet 371
        Timestamp:                      20:21:30.429717
IP Header
        Version:                        4
        Header Length:                  20 bytes
        Service Type:                   0x00
        Datagram Length:                28 bytes
        Identification:                 0x1775
        Flags:                          MF=off, DF=off
        Fragment Offset:                0
        TTL:                            45
        Encapsulated Protocol:          ICMP
        Header Checksum:                0x2571
        Source IP Address:              xxx.xxx.xxx.31
        Destination IP Address:         xxx.xxx.xxx.5
ICMP Header
        Type:                           echo-request
        Checksum:                       0x1F16
ICMP Data

I'm clearly missing something. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, as always!