Snort mailing list archives

AW: snort and nessus

From: "Poppi, Sandro" <Sandro.Poppi () wacker com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:44:26 +0100

I'm also looking for event/alert correlation tools commercial or -
preferrably - open source to include correlation of nessus reports and snort
alerts from distributed sensors but also to be highly adjustable to
correlate other logfiles too, e.g. proxy, firewall logs, to get more
information even when snort does not have e.g. internal ip# or userids
because of proxy-chains.

I found SEC (http://kodu.neti.ee/~risto/sec/) which could solve that problem
but not as deep as I would have it.

I also made some thoughts on that issue and this tends to be a high quality
project which is not that easy to implement as I first thought.

Anyone already thought of that or is implementing such an application?

Ciao,
Sandro

Hi,

Serious question this, very important.

I'd like to scan my machines for vulnerabilities with nessus and then
automatically make snort only report positive attacks for
those particular
vulnerablities. In theory (and I'll take the chance) anything
else is a false
positive.

Has anyone done this, thought of doing this, tried this?

Or any other comments?

Allen Baranov