Snort mailing list archives

Cheaper Snort!

From: spyguy703 <spyguy703 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:05:04 -0800

Here is a silly question:

Why do some users of snort choose to run snort on win32 platforms? Does that not defeat ONE of the benefits of using snort? That benefit being free?

FREE
Snort on Solaris 8..........$FREE
Snort on Linux...............$FREE

NOT-FREE **
Snort on Windows 2000 Professional.........$319.00
Snort on Windows 2000 Server..................$999.00 w/5 CAL's

** You have paid for your Windows licenses, right?

I am not trying to advocate an OS war, but just making a suggestion that it can be easier to convince 'some' management types when offering a solution that costs nothing more than the hardware.

I know that most Win32 guys I have worked love to use Windows for everything, and thats fine and dandy. But how many of you are actually paying for all of your Windows licenses? Not many of them actually own enought licenses to cover the number of installs. (i am not accusing, just saying there is a cheaper alternative then paying hundreds of dollars per snort box)

However, I assume that no one in the security industry is pirating any Microsoft software...right?

Just my 2 cents,

--spy