Snort mailing list archives

Re: Finding a Win32 Snort

From: Roelof JT Jonkman <roel () SiliconDefense com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:39:21 -0800

Richard,

I looked at the IDScenter config panels today after installing on Win2K.
It seems there is no socket logging facility available thru IDScenter.
(i.e. like snort -A unsock ...)

I don't have a windows box handy to verify the following, however I scanned
the source code quickly, and near as I know snort on windows should be able to
use the unsock logging facility.

Would I need to use command line to use a socket program to capture
packet data?
My guess is that IDScenter doesn't have the unsock facility as an option.
I checked with Michael, and concluded that Snort on windows has the
unsock alert facility. You need to make sure you create a pipe by
the name of snort_alert (grep UNSOCK_FILE snort.h) that snort can
write to.

Hope this helps.

Roel Jonkman
Security Engineer