Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort logging and the home network

From: "McCammon, Keith" <Keith.McCammon () eadvancemed com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 15:28:56 -0500

$HOME_NET is just a variable that is used within the config/rules files,
mainly .  Don't think of it as a Snort directive, but rather as a simple
time-saver, so that every person who downloads Snort doesn't have to
run/create some silly script to drop x.x.x.x/x into every rule that
applies.

The -h in the command line is the directive that actually tells Snort
which network should be treated like the "target," if you will.

Hope this helps.

Keith