Snort mailing list archives

Re: Port scan and MISC Large ICMP Packet

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 08:19:07 -0800

"Spp_portscan signature" -- this is not from a rule, but rather from a
plugin - within snort.conf:

"# portscan: detect a variety of portscans
# ---------------------------------------
# portscan preprocessor by Patrick Mullen <p_mullen () linuxrc net>
# This preprocessor detects UDP packets or TCP SYN packets going to
# four different ports in less than three seconds. "Stealth" TCP
# packets are always detected, regardless of these settings.

preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 4 3 portscan.log"

Comment this out, and you should be good to go..

For the second, you might try writing a rule something like this:

#
pass tcp aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/32 any <-> $HOME_NET any (msg:"TCP to/from aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd";)

and start snort with the -o flag to re-order the rules, checking
"pass" rules before "alert" rules...

HTH..

- John
--
Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?