Snort mailing list archives

Re: Nice formmail.pl probes

From: Todd <todd () netsecsys net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:38:02 -0500 (EST)

Actually, it may be that your formail.pl script is being used as a spam
relay and the bounced messages that you are seeing are from AOL
relating to invalid receipients...

- Todd

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Chris Green wrote:

Jim Forster <jforster () rapidnet com> writes:

Anyone else seeing a formmail.pl search script running around your
websites?

It's right behind cmd.exe on things people try to access.  There are
tons of spam programs that will take advantage of it.

I was hit with it from users of pacbell.net, kscable.com,
BFLO.splitrock.net, shreveport.la.da.uu.net, and tc.ph.cox.net last
night, over 3 different class C's.  The subject was either "w00t
x.com" or "www.x.com" (x being the domain it hit) going out to their
addresses.  (nice their script left me contact info anyway) ;) I'm
guesing worm, as 90% of the 'send to' addresses were the same AOL
user - the other 10% were other AOL usernames.

Not a worm, its people excited they can MAKE FUNNY FAST.  ( I would
have said money but I'm sick of getting bounces back to the
list/myself on stupid mail filters )

Aol accounts are just disposable
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.