Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort ver 1.8.4-beta2 gives bus error.....

From: Fyodor <fygrave () tigerteam net>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 03:18:22 +0700

Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov> spoke:
Bummer, I was hoping to actually see the c code above the place where
it bombed.  That would be the following:

So the problem has to do with whether your c compiler can deal with
the "bit" syntax introduced by the ':' (depending on if you are a BIGENDIAN
or otherwise [see config.h]).

We've seen the similar bugs on Linux, RH6.2/Alpha quite a while ago. I
spent some time on it, but didn't find any other way to fix the 'bug'
but to avoid using bitfields on these architectures. IMHO this sounds
more like a compiler bug to me than a bug in snort code therefore the
former is the beast that needs fixes ;)