Snort mailing list archives

AW: Workstation or Server in RH 7.2?

From: "Poppi, Sandro" <Sandro.Poppi () wacker com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:12:38 +0100

Choosing the custom option is ok but DON'T install all packages! As a snort
box is a "security device" you should only install the minimal things needed
to run and administer snort, e.g. why should I install X, KDE, Gnome? Don't
need it. Why installing telnet, r services or nfs, apache, ...? Don't need
it. Install openssh instead of telnet.

And always watch for security updates!

Any package installed could open your box for well-known vulnerabilities.
Also streamlining the kernel for performance issues is a good thing (don't
forget to remove gcc afterwards, you don't need it anymore).

Sandro

I would recommend doing a custom install and chosing to install all
packages.  Stay away from the prebuilt options RedHat offers
you unless
you don't plan to use the machine much.