Snort mailing list archives

Re: Interesting traffic...

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:54:08 +1300

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 10:19:24PM -0500, Ashley Thomas wrote:

OTOH, the TTL:63 implies one-hop from the sender - so that implies a LAN
host...

only routers while forwarding reduces the TTL,right ?
so TTL 63 means that it passed one router. So it cant be on the same
subnet !!

That's what I said wasn't it? "implies one-hop from the sender"?

one-hop means one hop. I don't know of any other network that is one-hop
away from any host on our LAN - other than another LAN subnet....
[LAN's aren't normally just one subnet these days - esp. for people on this
list]

That's assuming the TTL is real, etc, etc

--
Cheers

Jason Haar

Information Security Manager
Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417