Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort ver 1.8.4-beta2 gives bus error.....

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:20:16 -0600

"PAD HOSMANE" <phosmane () apollo fedworld gov> writes:

Chris,
   Thank you very much for the response. I just sent one more email
regarding snort 1.8.3, and it also refers to same sort of problem. I am not
a programmer, please explain it little bit more detail as to what should i
do.

Ok, one thing that is a portability problem for snort, as I understand
it, is in several places we have a struct that is looking at some
contiguous memory block.

Some of the fields in IP are 4bits wide and so when we access them, we
want the compiler to help us out and only give us the 4 bits we want.

Well, in this case, we want the value of 4 to be assigned into the
high order bits of a u_int8_t and since HP's processor doesn't wanna
do a write to anything smaller than a full sized character, we're out
in the water.

Realistically, tracking down all these in snort will require a
methodology and hopefully someone that is capable in C & has access to
an HP to test on.

If its only happening on the assignments/accesses that are less than
1 byte in size, we can probably find those but the int assignments
that are off boundary and whatnot are very difficult to find.
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
You now have 14 minutes to reach minimum safe distance.