Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to place Snort machine on the network ?

From: skadhi () ib-group com (skadhi)
Date: 08 Jan 2002 17:22:58 +0100

On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 12:49, Syed Tariq Mustafa wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to the Snort stuff. But I have managed to install and test it. Its
working fine as far as running it is concerned. I set the eth0 LAN
connection to PROMISCIUS mode, which is then supposed to capture all network
traffic.

But it is not happening so if you use " snort -v " to display the traffic on
your screen.

All I could see is the broadcast traffic. Say a packet from 192.168.0.10 to
192.168.0.255 but machine to machine communication isn't just appearing !!!

I am connected to the network using a Cisco 2912 switch and have set one of
its port to Monitoring Port. Now I am not sure if it is properly set as
monitoring port or not ... !!!

Can someone tell me what is the cause of this problem.
well if you see only the broadcast traffic & you have that 2912 switch
then the switch is likely to be misconfigured. To confirm this, turn off
snort & launch tcpdump then send some traffic from one host to another
(without involving the snort box of course).

HTH

--
/Saad Kadhi --  [skadhi () ib-group com]
[pgp keyid: 35592A6D http://pgp.mit.edu]