Snort mailing list archives

How to place Snort machine on the network ?

From: Syed Tariq Mustafa <Mustafast () alj com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:49:52 +0300

Hi All,

I am new to the Snort stuff. But I have managed to install and test it. Its
working fine as far as running it is concerned. I set the eth0 LAN
connection to PROMISCIUS mode, which is then supposed to capture all network
traffic.

But it is not happening so if you use " snort -v " to display the traffic on
your screen.

All I could see is the broadcast traffic. Say a packet from 192.168.0.10 to
192.168.0.255 but machine to machine communication isn't just appearing !!!

I am connected to the network using a Cisco 2912 switch and have set one of
its port to Monitoring Port. Now I am not sure if it is properly set as
monitoring port or not ... !!!

Can someone tell me what is the cause of this problem.

Thanks

Trek