Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is this config. ok

From: Kenny D <bitored2002 () yahoo com au>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 03:33:41 +1100 (EST)

Yes, but if the snort host only looks at the firewall
port the scan on the internal network will be across
the switch and the only 2 ports involved is the port
being scanned and my workstation port which is
scanning. Snort wont see it because it doesnt go via
the port its looking at.

I am right or wrong?

--- Mike_Sands () elementk com wrote: >
you should see the scan if it is targeted to the
snort host. for example if
my snort server is 172.16.1.5 and i run a the
following command on my
workstation

# nmap 192.168.5.28

Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor () insecure org (
www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on  (172.16.1.5):
(The 1518 ports scanned but not shown below are in
state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
80/tcp     open        http
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
443/tcp    open        https
3306/tcp   open        mysql

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up)
scanned in 1 second

I should see the above scan in my snort logs.

Mike Sands
ecurity / Network Engineer Office: (585) 214-1936
Fax: (585) 295-7162
Cell: 716-303-3245
Element K
'the knowledge catalyst'