Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is this config. ok

From: Mike_Sands () elementk com
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:07:39 -0500

no it should only ignore scans that are in the portscan-ignorehosts
variable

Mike Sands
Security / Network Engineer
Office: (585) 214-1936
Fax: (585) 295-7162
Cell: 716-303-3245
Element K
'the knowledge catalyst'
www.elementk.com

|--------+--------------------------------------->
|        |          Kenny D                      |
|        |          <bitored2002 () yahoo com au>   |
|        |          Sent by:                     |
|        |          snort-users-admin@lists.sourc|
|        |          eforge.net                   |
|        |                                       |
|        |                                       |
|        |          02/21/2002 09:27 AM          |
|        |                                       |
|--------+--------------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                            |
  |       To:     Mike_Sands () elementk com                                                                      |
  |       cc:     snort users <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>                                              |
  |                                                                                                            |
  |       Subject:     Re: [Snort-users] Is this config. ok                                                    |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

If its setup right should it not ignore scans from the
inside and only look from scans coming for the
outside. Is that not the default way snort works?

I set up my port mirroring for traffic that my inside
interface recieves (ie going towards my inside private
network).

Thanks.

--- Mike_Sands () elementk com wrote: >
It looks right. you may be right that your firewall
is doing a good job. As
a test you could run a scan on the box directly from
a machine that is
behind the firewall. If snort alerts on the scan
then things are probably
good.

Mike Sands
Security / Network Engineer
Office: (585) 214-1936
Fax: (585) 295-7162
Cell: 716-303-3245
Element K
'the knowledge catalyst'
www.elementk.com

                    Kenny D

                    <bitored2002@yah        To:
Mike_Sands () elementk com

                    oo.com.au>              cc:
snort users <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>

                    02/21/2002 07:28        Subject:
    Re: [Snort-users] Is this config. ok

                    AM

Hi,

By very quiet i mean no alerts whatsoever, i assume
a). my router and firewall is doing a good or b). i
have do something wrong.

When i an a rule for any traffic coming in i see
plenty going on so maybe my config is ok. An
external
scna using superscan gave nothing. The snort options
use are as follows

c:\snort.exe -c c:\snort\snort.conf -h 172.17.1.0/24
-i 1

Does this all sound rerasonable,

Appreciate your comments.

--- Mike_Sands () elementk com wrote: >
It sounds like you have everything set up
correctly.
By "very quiet" do you
mean that there are no alerts at all? If you did
some sort of nmap scan of
the internal network I really should show up in
your
portscan.log file.
Just for Yuks you may want to try and set your
home
network to 'any' and
scan again. Also how are you running snort? What
flags are you using on the
command line?

Mike Sands
Security / Network Engineer
Office: (585) 214-1936
Fax: (585) 295-7162
Cell: 716-303-3245
Element K
'the knowledge catalyst'
www.elementk.com

                    Kenny D

                    <bitored2002 () yahoo com au>
    To:     snort users
<snort-users () lists sourceforge net>

                    Sent by:
    cc:

                    snort-users-admin@lists.sourc

                    eforge.net
    Subject:     [Snort-users] Is this config. ok

                    02/20/2002 12:02 PM

Hi,

I have setup snort and it is very quiet. I just
want
to make sure everything i done is correct. I have
set
it up as follows

internet -- router --- (public ip
outside)pix(inside172.16.1.1) --- (172.16.1.2)
3005Concentrator (172.17.1.1) --- my inside
network
on
172.17.1.0

My snort machine is monitoring all traffic coming
from
the pix inside interface, i am using span port
mirroring on my switch. When i turn on alert tcp
any
any -> any any i do see plenty of traffic going
back
and forward. However when i turn it off it is very
quiet. I assume my router and firewall is doing a
good
job but how can i be sure it all works. An
external
scan didnt create any alerts. I set my home
network
in
snort to 172.17.1.0

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks.

- Vote for your nominees in our online Oscars
pool.