Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2GB limit

From: Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:50:46 -0700

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 12:37:14PM -0800, Lyle Sudin wrote:
Thanks, Phil but even with the addition of 64-bit
support in libpcap, snort stops at exactly 2GB.
Make sure that there is not another pcap lurking where snorts configure
could find it.  It might be using a shared library .so and bypassing what
you want.

I recompiled libpcap with the changes to savefile.c
and I added the CFLAGS line to the snort Makefile to
no avail.

I am running Turbo Linux Server 6.5 which supports
files > 2GB (I have tested it) so it's not a problem
with the OS.

Could there be any other files which need editing?
I did not use any other files.  But, I'm using Debian, with my own
"turbo" linux and running a 2.4.16 kernel.  You might want to check
the kernel config.  I seem to remember something about > x Gig.  But,
it might just have been the memory configuration.

One thing you might make sure of is that your asm and linux includes
are linked to your kernel source (/usr/src/linux/include/{asm,linux}
respectively.

Thanks,
Lyle

--- Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov> wrote:
If you are running linux, change to the source to
pcap and put the following
somewhere before the #include(s) statements in
savefile.c:

#ifdef linux
#define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64
#define _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
#endif

Them make clean, make.  Then, go to snort source
directory:

  rm snort
  make

This all assumes you have both the source to pcap
and the source to snort
and now how to build libpcap based applications and
have correct include
and library directives in your Makefile.

If you expect other files, created by snort to get
large, then you would
have to do a similar thing.  You can also just -D
those two defines in
somewhere in your Makefiles for the various
applications that do big
files.  Something like this:

CFLAGS = -O2 -g -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64
-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE

is what I would do to the Makefile for snort.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 10:09:31AM -0600, Chris