Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2GB limit

From: Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:56:33 -0700

If you are running linux, change to the source to pcap and put the following
somewhere before the #include(s) statements in savefile.c:

#ifdef linux
#define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64
#define _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
#endif

Them make clean, make.  Then, go to snort source directory:

  rm snort
  make

This all assumes you have both the source to pcap and the source to snort
and now how to build libpcap based applications and have correct include
and library directives in your Makefile.

If you expect other files, created by snort to get large, then you would
have to do a similar thing.  You can also just -D those two defines in
somewhere in your Makefiles for the various applications that do big
files.  Something like this:

CFLAGS = -O2 -g -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE

is what I would do to the Makefile for snort.