Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problems ignoring a host

From: "Peter Sundstrom" <peter () ginini com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:44:55 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erek Adams" <erek () theadamsfamily net>
On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Peter Sundstrom wrote:

I'm trying to ignore alerts triggered by our scanner without any luck.

[...snip...]

What am I missing?

The fact that the portscan alerts are generated by ssp_portscan.{c,h} and
not
snort.  Since that's from a pre-processor, pass rules won't help.  Use the
config file directive "portscan ignorehosts" or use a BPF filter to ignore
traffic from that host.

I forgot to say that I am using "portscan ignorehosts".  In snort.conf I
have:

var IS_HOSTS 192.168.1.25/32
preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: $SNMP_HOSTS $IS_HOSTS

Peter