Snort mailing list archives

Re: Eliminating rulesets

From: Jeff Elkins <jeff () elkins org>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 21:30:14 -0500

Thanks Phil :)

(six-pack of  virtual Beck's dark for you :)

Jeff

On Saturday 09 February 2002 08:11 pm, Phil Wood wrote:
Hmm,

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 07:26:41PM -0500, Jeff Elkins wrote:
Thanks.

I'll research invert before I repost. Wouldn't want to make someone drink
an extra beer :)

% dict invert
       v 1: make an inversion (in a musical composition); "here the
            theme is inverted"
       2: turn inside out or upside down [syn: {reverse}]

What I meant to say was fix up a rules file which looks for attacks going
out from your site.  An easy way would be to:

 % sed -e 's/EXTERNAL_NET/XXX_NET/' -e 's/HOME_NET/EXTERNAL_NET/' <
web-iis.rules | sed -e 's/XXX_NET/HOME_NET/' > inverted-web-iis.rules

But, check the contents of your {EXTERNAL|HOME}_NET variables first.

Also, take another look at the various web alerts that triggered.  You
might see Forbidden or Connection closed ..., etc.

Or, is that another beer...

Jeff